ANI is accredited to ISO 14001 – Environmental Management Systems and has implemented environmentally sustainable practices in the operation and maintenance of the common user facilities (CUF) including:
- Solar charging of mobile plant
- Installation of solar panels on buildings
- Use of environmentally friendly lubricants and hydraulic oils
- Filtered drainage systems for cleaner stormwater management, and
- Internal and external LED lighting
In the expansion and modernisation of the ONS, environmentally sustainable initiatives have been installed in the ONS south shipyard and are being considered in the design of other shipyard projects. This includes initiatives that consider:
- Energy efficiency and renewable energy sources, including provisions for the installation of solar panels on buildings and in carparks, and the installation of clear cladding to allow natural light into main production buildings.
- Changerooms are modularised to allow for sections to be opened and closed, necessitating energy usage only in the areas needed to accommodate current personnel numbers.
- Rainwater harvesting as an alternative water source, including collection, storage, and reuse around the yard.
- Pollution prevention measures to minimise emissions and discharges of pollutants during construction and ultimately, operation.
- Increased sustainable plantings using flora indigenous to the area, ensuring plants can flourish in local conditions with minimal need for additional watering.
- Material reuse, which has included the relocation and reuse of bulk materials excavated from ONS construction sites as a base for proposed new carparks.